Let's review the steps for adding a patient and related treatment episode in Avea.
For organizations integrated with the Kipu EMR, you will add the patient in the EMR. Once the patient demographics are sent to Avea, a new patient record and related treatment episode will be automatically created in Avea.
Create a New Patient and Admitted Treatment Episode
Let's review the steps for adding and admitting a new patient. If the patient is not ready to admit, you can create a prospective treatment episode for the patient.
- Navigate to the Patients page and click Add New Patient.
- Click Add New Patient.
- The first section of the wizard allows you to collect Patient Details.
At minimum complete:
- The patient's First Name and Last Name.
- Gender is not required but will need to be added at some point to resolve the Patient must have a specified Gender TODO alert.
- The patient's Birthday.
- Select at least one Associated Practice.
Other fields [Optional]:
- Social Security Number
- Patient ID: Use this field for EHR or medical record identification numbers. This is not the patient's insurance ID.
- Phone Number
Click the Next: Add Treatment Episode button to continue.
- The Add Episode section allows you to choose whether you want to create a Prospective Episode or an Admitted Episode. Choose Admitted Episode.
- Select a Practice to admit the patient into. If the correct practice is not listed, navigate to the Patient>Profile tab, select Edit, and use the checkboxes to select the correct practice. Select Save.
- Select an A/R Classification. Is the patient paying through insurance, private pay, or a combination?
- Enter the Admit Date. This is the date when the patient entered treatment.
- Enter the Patient's Street Address, City State, and Zip Code. While this field isn't required, you will need to add it at some point to resolve the To do: Treatment Episode must have a completed Patient Profile alert.
- Add at least one Diagnosis Code. You can use the + button to add additional diagnosis codes. While this isn't required, you will need to add a diagnosis at some point to resolve to To do:
Other fields [Optional]:
- Standalone Services Only: Enabling the Standalone Services Only toggle only allows patients to be billed for individual services and excludes the patient from level of care/per diem billing.
- Admit Time: The time when the patient entered treatment.
- Admit Type: Elective, Emergency, Information not Available, Trauma, or Urgent. If the information is not known, please use Information not Available.
- Admit Source: Clinic Referral, Court/Law Enforcement, Emergency Room, HMO Referral, Information not Available. Physician Referral, Transfer from another Health Care Facility, Transfer from Hospital, Transfer from SNF. If the information is not known, use Information Not Available.
- Occurrence Code: Occurrence codes are typically required when billing workers comp. This only applies to institutional claims and requires a claim form rule to be created.
- Occurrence Code Date
- Referral Source: Use this to track where a referral originated.
- Anticipated Discharge Date: If there is an estimated length of stay, enter the potential end date of treatment.
Click here for more information on managing treatment episodes.
Next, you have two options:
- Choose Add Patient and Episode Only to finish creating the patient's treatment episode without insurance details.
- Choose Next: Add Insurance to move to the next step in the wizard and add the insurance details.
- From the Add Insurance window, you can include the patient's primary Medical, Home, and Behavioral payer.
All fields on this page are optional.
- Enter the policy's Effective Date.
- Use the Payer field to select an insurance. By default, the first payer added is the patient's Medical payer.
- If you would like to add the Home Plan or Behavioral Payer, please use the related links.
Click here for instructions on adding secondary and tertiary payers.
Next, you have two options:
- Choose Add Patient, Episode, and Payer Only to finish creating the prospect without Policy information.
- Choose Next: Add Policy Info to move to the next step in the wizard and add the prospect's insurance details.
- The last section allows you to add the patient's insurance policy details:
- Add the Insurance ID.
- Select the Patient Relationship to Insured.
- If the relationship is not Self, please complete the First Name and Last Name fields for the subscriber.
Click Finish to create the admitted patient treatment episode.
Duplicate Patient Warning
If you add a new patient that has the exact same name as a previous patient in the same organization, you'll receive a warning message. You can choose to ignore or click Back to locate the patient.
Complete Required Information
If you didn't complete all the fields within the Add Patient wizard, you may encounter some To Do alerts on the patient's treatment episode. These alerts indicate that some patient information needs to be completed prior to billing.
Check out the below instructions for resolving the most common To Do alerts.
- Complete the Patient Profile on the Intake tab.
- Add the Diagnosis codes on the Intake tab.
- Complete Insurance Information or add Secondary/Tertiary payers on the Intake tab.