It is not uncommon for a payer to return an ERA with reimbursements for individual dates of service rolled up to one line. These rolled-up payments still automatically post to the claim because the total amounts add up to balance the claim.
However, rolled-up payments negatively impact reimbursement reporting and revenue cognition efforts.
Finding Rolled-Up Payments
To locate Rolled-Up Payments (e.g., payments that have been posted with line items spanning more than one date of service), use the Claim Payments Report.
- Navigate to Reporting and choose the Claim Payments Report.
- Set the Report Display Type to Detail.
- Choose the preferred Date Type and Date Range.
- Update the Show Multiday Payments Only toggle to Yes.
- Under the Payment Matching Status drop-down, choose Matched Claim Payments.
- Click Run Report.
- The report run using the above settings will only show payments that have been posted with line items spanning more than one date of service.
Fixing Rolled-Up Payments
- Using the report results, locate the Check Number or Claim ID.
- Copy and paste the Check Number or Claim ID in the AveaOffice search bar.
- Open the Payments tab.
- Click on the blue hyperlink ICN or Check # to open the payment.
- Click the Edit button.
- Delete the rolled-up Line 1 from the table by clicking the X button on the far right.
- The option to Import appears. Use the Import Services from Claim drop-down to select One Row per Service per Date, then click Import.
- The system will ensure each date is separated out as it's own line item. Next, break out the payments total for each column to the line items below.
- Once balanced, click Save.